At the end of every year, there are always lists, lists, lists. News organizations list the top moments of 2012 or the best movies, music, and sports moments. Now, we are at the start of a new year and I want to add my own list. This list doesn’t look back, but looks ahead to 13 reasons I am excited about 2013.
- Imagine. I believe this is going to be a significant year for beginning many of the goals God has placed before our church.
- Jesus. On January 13, I will begin a brand new series of messages entitled Jesus that will focus on the life of Christ and how we can be more Christ like in our minds, words, and actions (which, by the way, is an Imagine goal).
- Peter. On January 20, I will begin a brand new series on 2 Peter in our evening worship.
- Growth. Since we began our new Bible Fellowship hour and second morning worship, we have already seen great growth in our attendance. I believe this trend will continue at a steady pace in 2013.
- Project 38. In 2013, we should see the completion of our first orphanage. This will be a historic achievement for our church.
- Baptisms. Part of our goals for Imagine has been to see 1,000 people baptized by 2020. I want this year to be a catalyst year for baptisms.
- Personal Growth. I know many of you are resolution setters, but whether that describes you or not, I hope we will all commit for 2013 to be a year of personal spiritual growth.
- Family. One of the important goals of Imagine is to help families grow in their faith and in their skills as spiritual leaders. The staff has some exciting plans for this next year to help all ages grow stronger in their families and their faith.
- Missions. We have some great plans for our missions ministries this year. The Lord has given us some great dreams about reaching people in our city and around the world. From the Friendship House to church planting, 2013 is going to be a significant year.
- Buildings. I don’t know all the details, but I believe this year will be an important step in updating current facilities and beginning to look at new opportunities. As you support our capital campaign (currently called Get in the Game), you are helping the church prepare for tomorrow.
- Leverage. I want our church to work harder in 2013 to leverage important events to reach more people. From Easter to VBS to Fall Festival to Christmas, I want FBCC to do more than we have ever done to reach people for Christ.
- Worship and Bible Fellowship. I hope you will commit to make worship and Bible study a priority every Sunday. Sit close, participate, and be aggressive in inviting people to join you each Sunday. Fill up your pew each week with new guests.
- Glory. May all we say and do and accomplish be only for the glory of God!
2013 is going to be a great year. 2012 was a significant year with the passing of Dr. Allen and with the roll out of Imagine, and God proved Himself faithful. May 2013 be a year we prove ourselves faithful.
And as I am fond of saying…the Best is yet to come!
Dr. Brent Taylor